The application period will open in September 2016 for the 2017-18 cohort. All applications must be fully completed and submitted electronically by 11:59 p.m. ET on November 1, 2016. Applications will not be accepted by email or by post. Acceptance decisions will be made in December.
The following are requested to complete the application:
- Name, position, institution, email, phone number, and state (or country if not U.S.) of residence during the fellowship year of the applicant;
- Name, position, institution, email, and phone number of the author of the letter of support;
- Personal statement of no more than 500 words by the applicant demonstrating commitment to or interest in public engagement and what they hope to gain by participating in the Leshner Leadership Institute, including discussion of the following:
- Previous experience with public engagement or reason for interest;
- Goals and target audiences for engagement if selected to participate in the Institute;
- How the candidate plans to influence and support public engagement among his/her colleagues (institution/organization/profession); and
- Challenges overcome in the course of conducting public engagement with science, or consideration of potential challenges and solutions.
- Letter of no more than 500 words written in support of the applicant by an individual within their institution or professional network who can approve and facilitate the candidate’s participation in the Institute. Statement should include discussion of the applicant’s leadership, public engagement experience or interest (including audiences and goals), and the way(s) in which the applicant may be transformative in their community, institution, organization, or profession;
- Two representative material samples of public engagement, which illustrate or describe their activities focused on dialogue with public audiences;
- This can include video, sound clips, online or social media posts, written articles, event announcements, or statements written by colleagues knowledgeable about the activity, etc.
- An optional second letter of support
- The applicant’s curriculum vitae (5-page maximum)
All submitted materials become the property of AAAS.
Inquiries may be directed to the Center for Public Engagement with Science and Technology via email or by phone, (202) 326-6656