- Applicant must be an individual scientist or engineer. Groups or institutions will not be considered for this program. AAAS employees are ineligible. Fifteen scientists or engineers will be chosen to participate in the program on an annual basis.
- Applicant must be an active researcher who investigates infectious disease or an aspect of infectious disease. Researchers may be in academia, government, non-governmental organizations, or industry.
- Applicant must be mid-career, defined as at least seven years past receipt of their terminal degree, and have demonstrated significant professional accomplishment in their field of study.
- Applicant will have demonstrated an interest or excellence in contributing to public engagement with science activities, with a focus on interactive dialogue with a non-scientific, public audience(s).
- Types of public engagement activities might include: public outreach, public policy, informal science education, or science communication activities such as mass media, public dialogue, science cafés, stakeholder dialogues,and social media.
- Applicant must be available to attend the week of orientation and training at the AAAS headquarters in Washington, DC, June 2017.
- Applicant must be a member of AAAS or become a member upon acceptance.